Saturday, February 2, 2013

Calabrese Green Sprouting Broccoli

Here is an illustration I did a little more than a month ago of Calabrese Green Sprouting Broccoli.
Does anyone else have trouble spelling broccoli every time? I had to check and see how to spell it because I always want to put two l's instead of two c's.
I don't normally think of broccoli as a particularly Italian thing, but Wikipedia would have me believe it so. It reads as follows:
"Broccoli was derived from cultivated leafy cole crops in the Northern Mediterranean in about the 6th century BCE. Since the Roman Empire, broccoli has been considered a uniquely valuable food among Italians. Broccoli was brought to England from Antwerp in the mid-18th century by Peter Scheemakers. Broccoli was first introduced to the United States by Italian immigrants but did not become widely known there until the 1920s."

2 comments:

Jay said...

Dear Jessie,
I love your beautiful artwork. It is wonderful to see your artwork in the SESE catalogue. Keep up the wonderful work!
-Jay

Jessie said...

Thanks Jay :)