Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Drunken Woman Lettuce

Here's a beautiful lettuce with a funny name; Drunken Woman Lettuce:
I wish I could say why this lettuce is named what it is, but I just can't find an answer to that anywhere.
Sometimes I get working on a painting and really don't like it because it seems sloppy or the colors are muddy or some other thing just isn't clicking, and then sometimes I try so hard to make it look OK and make those problems go away that in the end it turns into one of my favorite paintings. That was what happened to this one.
And although I am not a fan of iceberg lettuce because I believe it is less tasty and less nutritious than just about every other variety of lettuce in existence, here is a fun lettuce fact: iceberg lettuce was called crisphead lettuce before the 1920's when California growers would ship it to the east coast covered in ice.

No comments: