Sunday, January 8, 2012

Brandywine Tomato

Here is a half done illustration of Brandywine Tomatoes:
I think Brandywine tomatoes were my first introduction to an heirloom variety when I first tasted them at the Dartmouth Organic Farm and perhaps it was then I fell in love older, tastier varieties. I still sometimes buy tomatoes in the grocery store, but I probably shouldn't because it is most often a disappointment after growing them myself. They just tend to taste like mealy water.
Here is a little bit of Brandywine history from wikipedia: It reached modern popularity after being introduced via the Seed Savers Exchange in 1982 by an elderly Ohio gardener named Ben Quisenberry. He received the variety from a woman named Dorris Sudduth Hill who could trace Brandywine in her family for over 80 years. Brandywine has become one of the most popular home garden cultivars in the United States. Due to the proliferation of many misidentified varieties, the pink-fruited, potato-leaved Brandywine is sometimes labeled Brandywine (Sudduth's).

No comments: