Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tithonia Torch

Here is an illustration I did in, I think, 2009 of Tithonia Torch Sunflower:
The SESE catalog tells me it is also called the Mexican Sunflower. These are not your typical big and tall sunflower as they are a bit smaller, they grow to about half the height of other sunflowers and they spread out with big bushy leaves. They are native to Mexico and Central America. Why am I not surprised?
According to gardeningcentral.org they are also unique in that they will bloom twice in one summer. Of course, I imagine this is true only if your summers are long enough. The website says. "If you plant it in March or April it will grow and produce beautiful flowers into June.  The blooms will then fall off and germinate.  You can then expect more blooms by October."

No comments: