Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gloria Finished - Plymouth Rock

I finally finished that second heritage breed chicken portrait today. Here is Gloria, a Plymouth Rock:
Since I already posted Gloria's story on December 16th, I won't post it again here. Instead, here is a bit from wikipedia about the breed:
The Plymouth Rock was developed in New England in the middle of the 19th century and was first exhibited as a breed in 1869... Plymouth Rocks were bred as a dual-purpose fowl, meaning that they were valued both for their meat and for the hens' egg-laying ability. The first Plymouth Rock was barred and other varieties were developed later. The breed became popular very rapidly, and in fact, until World War II, no breed was ever kept and bred as extensively in the United States as the Barred Plymouth Rock. Its popularity came from its qualities as an outstanding farm chicken: hardiness, docility, broodiness, and excellent production of both eggs and meat.
Gloria here looks like she was bred for toughness. I think I just heard her say, "Are you talkin' to me?"

No comments: