Thursday, February 16, 2012

Half done Pennsylvania Butter Flavored Popcorn

Today, in the midst of many other things, I worked on this painting of Pennsylvania Butter Flavored Popcorn:
 It still has quite a ways to go since each kernel gets its own detail, but it's getting there. I'm not sure yet if it was the right decision to make the bowl bright red. I thought that it would brighten up the picture, which it does. I just don't want it to dominate. We will see how things balance out when I get more darks on the ears of corn.
So, fun popcorn facts... I was at a fair doing sketched portraits in Indiana one day and I happened to be placed next to the kettle corn people who were very friendly and told me all about their popcorn. At the time I didn't know much about it at all. They told me that popcorn pops because it has water inside and when you heat up that water it expands to the point where the kernel can't hold it anymore and it pops. Those kernels at the end that don't pop didn't have sufficient water inside to create enough pressure when heated to pop the kernel.

No comments: