Friday, December 9, 2011

autumn beauty sunflower finally finished

Here is the finally finished illustration of Autumn Beauty Sunflower... unless I change my mind in the morning:






It's hard to believe all of those flowers come from one variety, but there they are.
So for fun sunflower facts before I go to bed: Apparently there is a mathematical equation for the pattern of florets in the head of a sunflower. I would copy it down here, but it really means nothing to me. It is just kind of neat and crazy that someone, who is named H.Vogel, actually figured that out. I have noticed while drawing sunflowers the interesting pattern in the middle. I always get it down on the page by drawing curves out from the center of the flower like C's all the way around, and then flipping the C and doing curves like that all the way around too, if that makes any sense.
And one last fun fact, International Sunflower Guerrilla Gardening day is on May 1st. "It is a day when guerrilla gardeners around the world plant sunflowers in their neighborhoods, typically in neglected public places such as tree pits, shabby flower beds and bare roadside verges. It has taken place since 2007, and was conceived by guerrilla gardeners in Brussels." I like it :) Perhaps this May 1st, wherever I am I will find myself planting a sunflower.
-info on the math equation and Guerrilla Gardening taken from Wikipedia

No comments: