Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Tender Gray End leads to the beginning of the Table Queen

First I will post the very beginnings of the Table Queen Vine Winter Squash, which I am not going to finish today as it is my last day with Juneau before he visits his family for two weeks and then I leave and visit mine for two weeks. So, here is the very beginning of that painting:


I decided to start with all the yellowy, peachy, orange colors before moving into the dark blue greens that will dominate the painting. These are a type of acorn shaped squash whose seeds are sold by SESE. The catalog tells me that it was, "Introduced [in] 1913. The precursor of this variety was cultivated previously by the Arikara Indian tribe in the early 1800's."

And here is the finished illustration of Tender Gray Zucchini, (this time I will spell it right).





I finished up by brightening the yellow and orange in the flowers with watercolor and then adding detail with colored pencil to everything, mostly just around the edges to tighten it up. As my two year old niece Emma would say, I like it. It's ok to be proud of a painting sometimes, right?

And some fun zucchini facts:
The world’s largest zucchini on record was 69 1/2 inches long, and weighed 65 lbs. Bernard Lavery of Plymouth Devon, UK, grew the humongous veggie.
And,  a zucchini has more potassium than a banana.
-taken from http://www.foodchannel.com/articles/article/top-10-zucchini-fun-facts/

No comments: