Sunday, December 4, 2011

the middle of a black mammoth

Some days it is harder to push yourself into painting than others, and sometimes a painting moves more slowly than you expect. I guess it might have been the weather, rainy and dreary, good for laying around and cuddling with kitties. On those days I push myself a little and know that if I give it enough time and patience the painting will come together eventually. Of course there's always the option of giving up too or saying, good enough, which I do choose too sometimes. Anyway, I did get half way done with this one and tomorrow I am sure it will come together, the Black Mammoth Sunflower:


The SESE website tells me that these are the sunflowers to grow if you are growing them to eat their seeds, "big seeds" "great for munching".
And I just learned the neatest thing about sunflowers from wikipedia. Their heads, the part we think of as the flower, are actually 1000-2000 individual flowers joined together by a receptacle base. Here is some more on that, "What is usually called the "flower" on a mature sunflower is actually a "flower head" (also known as a "composite flower") of numerous florets, (small flowers) crowded together. The outer petal-bearing florets are the sterile ray florets and can be yellow, red, orange, or other colors. The florets inside the circular head are called disc florets, which mature into seeds."

No comments: