Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Marketmore 76 Cucumber

Here is the finished illustration of the Marketmore 76 Cucumber:
There are apparently a lot of uses for cucumbers that have to do with skin care. I myself would rather just eat them. When I think of cucumbers I think of cucumber sandwiches in the summer, a nice cold, light snack.
Apparently Roman Emperor Tiberius really liked his cucumbers. Wikipedia tells me, " The Romans reportedly used artificial methods (similar to the greenhouse system) of growing to have it available for his table every day of the year. To quote Pliny; "Indeed, he was never without it; for he had raised beds made in frames upon wheels, by means of which the cucumbers were moved and exposed to the full heat of the sun; while, in winter, they were withdrawn, and placed under the protection of frames glazed with mirrorstone. Reportedly, they were also cultivated in cucumber houses glazed with oiled cloth known as "specularia”." I suppose he would have been happy today with our trucks and grocery stores making anything we want available all year round.

No comments: