Sunday, March 18, 2012

sketches

Today I felt like taking a break from vegetables so I just did a couple of sketches. First, is one of Cleo and Diva sharing a seat on the porch:
Animals are hard to draw from life because they don't sit still. Probably even if I could speak cat and ask them politely to model for me they would still not sit still. Even if I reminded them that I clean up after them and feed them morning and night and take care of them when they are sick, they would still probably not sit still. They would probably then rub against my leg and purr and ask me to pet them, which, of course, I would do.
The next sketch is of myself. I put it up not because I like it, but because it is some artistic thing I did today.
 
I can pretty much draw anyone, but when it comes to drawing myself I can never really seem to do it. I can make it look sort of like a relative of mine that could have existed but doesn't, but not me. I know other people who have this same problem. I don't know what it is exactly except maybe we can't look at ourselves objectively, or maybe we have an idea of what we have looked like throughout our lives and we draw a sort of conglomeration of those. Or maybe it's just that we all get funny looks on our faces when we are concentrating on drawing. :) I know I do that. Maybe that is why this one looks kind of mad, hahaha. Or why my nostrils look flared haha. Do I really do that when I draw?

3 comments:

Dad said...

I may be prejudice but this looks nothing like you. You are much prettier than your self-portrait.

Jessie said...

Thanks, I hope that's true :)

Elizabeth said...

Hahaha! I have the opposite problem. It is super easy for me to draw or paint myself. I think because I only had me for a model so many times that I got used to it. But definitely me with a concentrated drawing face. The one that Looks nothing like me since I always smile! haha. Practice! You'll get you! Hahah. or else you will just make yourself look like veg since you draw that all the time!