Monday, March 19, 2012

An Old Genovese Sweet Basil Illustration

I took the day off with Juneau, which was nice. So, now I am putting up an older drawing of Sweet Genovese Basil:
Wikipedia tells me that basil, although we normally think of it as something added to Italian food, is native to India, where it has been cultivated for more than 5000 years. It also tells me something else that I find kind of interesting and exciting which is that some varieties of basil are perennial. Although, I guess it is less exciting since you have to be in a warm tropical climate.
Anyway, basil is great and it comes in lots of varieties that I have never tried like lemon, lime, holy, cinnamon, anise-scented, and lots more. Maybe one day I will be able to grow them all and do a taste test. Wikipedia tells me too that the varieties that are not sweet basil are used more in Asia.

No comments: